Nothing beats fresh, juicy organic blueberries exploding with flavor with every bite. Yum! Not only are they delicious, but they are a big and powerful food in a small, little package. They have one of the highest antioxidant levels among common fruits. Specifically, they contain flavonoids called anthocyanins, which give them their vibrant blue color and are responsible for most of their healthy compounds. The small berries, at about 80 calories per cup, come with many benefits. They are:
- a good source of vitamin C
- high in manganese
- low in fat and sodium
- a good source of fiber
Organic Blueberry Muffins Recipe
Prep Time: 10 Mins | Cook Time: 23 Mins | Servings: 6 Large Muffins
- 1/4 c coconut flour
- 1/3 c tapioca flour
- 1/4 t unrefined sea salt
- 3/4 t baking soda
- 2 T unrefined coconut sugar OR 1 T raw honey (you decide)
- 1/2 c unsweetened applesauce
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 c coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1 c fresh organic blueberries
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a small bowl, mix together coconut flour, tapioca flour, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a larger bowl, whisk together eggs, coconut oil, unsweetened applesauce, coconut sugar or honey, and vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Fold in fresh organic blueberries.
- Grease a muffin tin with coconut oil.
- Pour batter into the muffin pan, filling each muffin cup almost to the top.
- Bake for 23 minutes or until lightly browned.
Recipe courtesy of Halle Cottis of Whole Lifestyle Nutrition