Hemp History Week is an initiative of Vote Hemp and the Hemp Industries Association. It is designed to educate the public on the importance of renewing hemp farming in America.
Hemp Is Nutritious!
Hemp seed is delicious and nutritious, high in Essential Fatty Acids (EFAs) and is a highly digestible protein. Containing super omegas Stearidonic Acid (SDA) and Gamma Linolenic Acid (GLA) and all nine Essential Amino Acids, hemp is mineral-rich, gluten-free, has no known allergens, and requires no petroleum-based chemicals to grow.
Three tablespoons of hemp seeds contain:
- 11g protein
- 7.5g omega-6
- 3.0g omega-3
- No gluten
- No known allergens
Hemp’s Early History in the U.S.
Historically, hemp was there at the beginning.
- 1700’s American farmers are required by law to grow hemp in Virginia and other colonies
- 1776 Declaration of Independence is drafted on hemp paper
- 1797 U.S.S. Constitution is outfitted with 60 tons of hemp sails and rigging
- 1790’s George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and John Adams grow hemp and extol its benefits
- 1937 Hemp’s cultivation is halted by the Marihuana Tax Act
- 1942 Henry Ford builds an experimental car body made with hemp fiber, which is ten times strong than steel
- 1942 – 1946 American farmers from Kentucky to Maine to Wisconsin harvest over 150,000 acres of hemp through the USDA’s Hemp for Victory program
- 1957 Last hemp is grown in the U.S. due to government confusion over hemp and drug varieties of the plant
Recent U. S. Hemp Happenings
After U.S.hemp production mistakenly fell out of favor, we started to import it.
- 1998 U.S. manufacturers begin to import food-grade hemp seed and oil from Canada
- 2004 Hemp Industries Association vs. DEA permanently protects sales of hemp foods and body care products in the U.S.
- 2005 A bill is introduced in the U.S. Congress for the first time to allow states to regulate hemp farming
- 2007 The first hemp licenses in over 50 years are granted to two North Dakota farmers
- 2010 1st annual Hemp History Week produces 200 events in 32 states exposing 100,000 people to hemp and the cause
- 2013 ‘First’ hemp farmer in decades after the state legalizes cannabis and defines industrial hemp in 2012
- 2014 President Obama signs the Federal Farm Bill with hemp amendment, section 7606, allowing states with pro-hemp legislation in place to grow hemp for research
- 2016 31 States have pro-hemp legislation in place, 15 states grow hemp under section 7606, and estimated U.S. hemp sales grow by 25% to $688 million
How can you introduce quality hemp foods into your daily diet?