We all know that too much sugar is bad for you. However, the thought of a lifetime of bland, sawdust menus can drive us mad! Tart cherry, also known as sour cherry, yields many health benefits you may not have thought of.
Tart cherry (Prunus cerasus) naturally contains polyphenolic antioxidant compounds — including quercetin, chlorogenic acid, and anthocyanins —which can help fight free radicals that cause oxidative damage to the cells in our bodies. Emerging scientific research suggests antioxidant-rich cherries, including tart cherries, may have a protective effect.
Tart cherries have been studied for their ability to reduce muscle damage and pain during strenuous exercise. This study aimed to assess the effects of tart cherry juice as compared to a placebo cherry drink on pain among runners in a long distance relay race. The cherry juice group reported a significantly smaller increase in pain. It was concluded that ingesting tart cherry juice for 7 days prior to and during a strenuous event can minimize muscle pains experienced afterward.
Tart cherries may help reduce the degree or trajectory of metabolic syndrome, a cluster of conditions that increase the risk of heart disease, stroke, and diabetes.
Joint health can be impacted by the build-up of uric acid in the bloodstream. Natural lifestyle solutions for healthier joints include:
- drink more water to help flush out irritants
- avoid foods high in purines such as alcohol, some seafood, and certain meats
- avoid high fructose corn syrup, saturated fats, and junk food
- eat more vegetables and complex carbs
- increase your daily vitamin C intake
- eat more cherries OR to avoid the sugar and calories take a quality tart cherry supplement such as Solgar Tart Cherry
To add to your healthy lifestyle, consider twangy foods such as plain Greek yogurt, kefir, sauerkraut, black coffee (in moderation), and lemons in your water. Bitter, sour, and zippy foods bring their own pleasure and your tongue will learn to appreciate them. In the meantime, consider taking your cherries as a supplement because drinking tart cherry juice would mean a ton of sugar. There’s sure to be more benefits discovered from this amazing orchard fruit such as using it for sleep.
Solgar’s Tart Cherry 1000 mg vegetable capsules provide 1000 mg of tart cherry (derived from the popular Montmorency variety) per vegetable capsule. This premium formula offers the health-supporting natural goodness of cherries without all the calories and sugar of cherry juice.
- Offers 1000 mg of tart cherry (Prunus cerasus) from 250 mg of a premium-quality 4:1 extract per vegetable capsule
- A convenient dosage (1-2 vegetable capsules daily)
- Suitable for vegetarians
- Free of gluten, wheat, dairy, soy, yeast, sugar, sodium, artificial flavor, sweetener, preservatives, and color
Call or Visit to Buy
These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. They are not intended to treat, diagnose, cure or prevent any disease.