Warm up to the fall weather that’s approaching with the warming curry flavors in this couscous and garbanzo bean salad. Curry is a delicious combination of dried spices including turmeric, ginger, and garlic. If you love spicy foods, add in some extra hot sauce to give this dish a real kick. This vegan dish can also be made gluten-free by substituting quinoa for the couscous.
Curried Couscous and Garbanzo Bean Salad
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 20 minutes | Serves: 4
- 3/4 c couscous
- 3/4 c water
- 1/4 t sea salt
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 15 oz can garbanzo beans, drained
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 bunch Italian parsley, chopped
- 1/4 c currants
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 1/4 c fresh lemon juice
- 1 T Dijon mustard
- 1 T agave nectar
- 2 t curry powder
- 1 t hot sauce (optional)
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 t sea salt
- 1/2 t black pepper
- Place couscous in a medium bowl with 1/4 teaspoon sea salt.
- Heat water to a boil and pour over couscous. Allow couscous to absorb water, approximately 15 – 20 minutes. When cool, fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile, whisk together dressing ingredients.
- Combine couscous, dressing, red peppers, beans, onion, parsley, and currants.
- Adjust seasonings, taste, and serve.
Use quinoa instead of couscous to make gluten-free. Follow cooking instructions on the package for quinoa.