Spring is here and it’s time to throw open the windows and let out that stale winter air. As you start gathering your supplies and get down to spring cleaning, reach for this more sustainable alternative to harsh chemicals. You may even have these ingredients at home already! This no-waste DIY all-purpose citrus spray cleaner uses citrus peels, imparting their fragrant oils to the solution’s antimicrobial, vinegar base. So start saving those peels from all the citrus fruit you’ve been munching on and let’s bring some freshness into your home!
DIY All-Purpose Citrus Spray Cleaner
Makes 5 Cups
Shake bottle gently and spray onto surfaces. Wipe off with a clean, dry cloth.
- 1 c white vinegar
- Citrus peel from about 4 oranges or other citrus fruits
- 4 c water
- 1 t liquid castile soap
- 15 drops lemon essential oil
- Place citrus peel and vinegar in a glass jar, close, and allow to infuse for two weeks.
- Strain the vinegar and discard citrus peel.
- Combine infused vinegar with water, castile soap, and essential oils.
- Store finished cleaner in spray bottles.