Fizzy Hibiscus Punch
Hibiscus tea has a unique flavor that is deliciously refreshing. Not only does it look beautiful in the glass too, drinking brewed hibiscus tea supports healthy circulation. Cheers to that!
This study was done with 25 men that have low to elevated chances for heart and circulatory problems. Some drank 8 ounces of brewed hibiscus tea, while the others drank water as a placebo, along with a high-fat meal. Two weeks later, after a washout period, a second trial was conducted with the same group.
While there was no change after drinking water with the high-fat meal, two and four hours after the hibiscus tea meal, doctors measured increased blood flow through the major artery of the upper arm. There were also minor improvements in systolic and diastolic blood pressure, blood sugar levels, and triglyceride levels.
Reference: Nutrients; 2019, Vol. 11, No. 2, 341
Fizzy Hibiscus Punch Recipe
Prep Time: 10 Mins | Cook Time: 10 Mins | Servings: 8 Glasses
- 2 1/2 c filtered water
- 6 hibiscus tea bags
- 1 c fresh organic blood orange or navel orange juice
- 750 ml bottle sparkling cider, sparkling wine, or sparkling water
- 1 orange (blood or navel) sliced thinly
- Over high heat, bring water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add hibiscus tea bags and remove from heat, let steep for at least 5 minutes.
- Hold tea bags over the saucepan and squeeze out the remaining liquid. Discard tea bags.
- Add juice and stir. Refrigerate covered for at least 2 to 3 hours.
- Divide the cooled tea mixture into 8 ice-filled glasses. Top evenly with your fizzy beverage of choice and garnish with orange slices.