French Onion and Cremini Mushroom Soup
It’s chilly out there! Think cozy and get out your best kitchen knife to start slicing up some onions. Vegetarian French Onion and Cremini Mushroom Soup is on the menu tonight! Indulge in savory, soupy flavors that will warm you from the inside out with this delicious twist on a classic recipe. Chop, chop, chop those onions and get them nice and caramelized before adding the cremini mushrooms to the pot. Simmer all of the ingredients together and then add the finishing touch– you know, the crusty, cheesy bread topping broiled to bubbly perfection. Viola! If you’d like to stock up for the remainder of winter, try some of these additional soup recipes, and pop them in the freezer for months to come.
Vegetarian French Onion and Cremini Mushroom Soup Recipe
Prep Time: 10 Mins | Cook Time: 55 Mins | Servings: 6
- 6 T unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 pounds large yellow onions, julienned
- 1/2 c dry white wine or dry vermouth
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 T honey
- 6-8 c chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 t dry thyme
- 1 T Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 c heavy cream
- 1 1/2 t salt
- 1 t ground black pepper
- 1 baguette, sliced
- 12 oz gruyere, grated
- Melt butter in a 6-quart stockpot over medium heat. Add onions and honey, and cook, stirring frequently until caramelized, approximately 40 minutes. As the onions cook down, reduce heat as needed to prevent burning.
- Stir in mushrooms and garlic, cook for 5-8 minutes. Deglaze with wine.
- Add broth, thyme, Worcestershire sauce, cream, salt, and pepper. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Portion soup into oven-safe individual soup bowls. Place filled bowls on a baking sheet. Top with baguette slices and cheese. Broil for 3 minutes on high until cheese is bubbling and golden brown. Enjoy your soup in honor of National Homemade Soup Day!